I am sitting here trying to decide what to read next. It’s only the first week of September and I’ve already (thanks to the long weekend) finished two books (writing reviews this weekend, I hope). Due to some price drops on Amazon I’ve added an insane number of books to my “to read” pile. I just keep buying them and they keep (virtually) piling up on my Kindle and waiting for me to read them. I haven’t bought this many books since before I reacquainted myself with the library (for fun, not research) during one of my internships in college. Even if I stopped buying new books today (which I won’t) and didn’t buy any more books until next year, and even if I continued reading at this crazy pace, I would probably still have more than enough books to keep me busy until New Years.
Then why, when it comes time to pick something to read next (like tonight), can’t find anything I want to read? Before I attempt to convince myself that I need to go buy more, I thought I’d take a minute to remind myself of the excellent stories that await me. Maybe then I can just pick one I’ve already purchased.
Some of my options:
- Eleanor & Park (Pro: recommended by a friend whose opinion I trust, Con: more YA and the last few I’ve read have been YA)
- The Fault in Our Stars (Pro: supposed to be REALLY good, Con: also supposed to be REALLY sad, also more YA)
- Wolf Hall (Pro: gets great reviews and I’ve wanted to read it for a while, Con: Mom just finished it and said it’s hard to get into — and this is coming from someone who loves British monarchy stuff)
- Dare Me (Pro: probably fluffy, light read and a mystery, Con: I’ve been reading a lot of fluffy, light reads and/or mysteries)
- Reamde (Pro: I’ve heard great stuff about this book, Con: it’s insanely long and I’m not sure I have the time to get into a long book right now)
- Wool (Pro: again, great reviews, especially from the hubby, and we already know I’m partial to post-apocalyptic fiction, Con: not sure I’m in the mood for post-apocalyptic right now)
And these are just SOME of my choices… I didn’t even get into the non-fiction books! Or the short story collections! Is it possible to have too many books? Wait. What am I saying? That’s just crazy talk. Too many books. Never!
Okay… must pick one… it’s either that or work on my Mystery Fiction homework, and we all know that I want to procrastinate on that some more. Plus, tomorrow is Friday and I need a #FridayReads (even though I almost never actually have time or energy to read anything on Fridays… it’s the thought that counts, right? No? #doingitwrong)
So what’s it going to be? Or shall I leave you in suspense?