It’s a three-day holiday weekend, but I’m not spending it reading… Instead, I’m helping my hubby build a RC airplane from a kit. It’s a pretty cool project and we’re having lots of fun, but it’s not helping me finish any of my in-progress books. Even though I didn’t finish anything this week, I still managed to add two books to my inbox and add a book to my in-progress stack…
Inbox (books acquired)
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (Kindle) — This went on sale on Amazon. It was one of the books I’d marked as a “someday/maybe” for my 2015 reading diverse authors project. So, I grabbed it. I don’t know much about this book except that it’s about a Native American teen, it won the National Book Award, and the author of the book was the one who appeared on the Colbert Report during the Amazon/Hachette kerfuffle and gave Edan Lepucki’s debut novel, California, the “Colbert (sales) bump.” I have a signed hardback of California in my physical TBR pile, so it seemed fitting, I guess, that I also read this book…
- Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld (library ebook for Kindle) — I sort-of borrowed this book from the library on accident. I went looking to see if my book club book was available in ebook from the library and, once I put a hold on that, I ended up checking to see if any of the more expensive books on my to-read list were available from the library on ebook. I’ve been wanting to read this one for a while. It’s kind of a writing “meta” book — it’s about a young woman writing a story where the novel she’s writing sort of intertwines with her story. Anyway… the library had it available, one of the only ones I looked up that didn’t have a hold, and so I clicked the “check out” button before I put too much thought into it. Now I have something less than 21 days to finish this before it goes “poof” and disappears off my Kindle. Yikes!
Outbox (books finished)
- no books finished this week… 😦
Queue (what I’m reading next)
- I plan on finishing Bone Clocks before this weekend is over. I have a feeling things are going to pick up after this “Crispin” section, and then I’ll be able to cruise on through the rest.
- I started Dreams of Gods and Monsters (the third and final book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy). We got off to a rocky start, this book and I, but now I’m in it and am resisting the urge to devour the rest because it’s on Kindle and can wait until Tuesday when I’m back on my commute.
- Because I couldn’t decide between Americanah and Half a Yellow Sun, I downloaded samples for both. I read the Half a Yellow Sun sample first, and I got pretty sucked into it, so I’m thinking I may attempt that book. Both have a queue for the digital versions at the library. So I may end up buying one, unless my hold comes up before I’m done with my two in-progress books and the one I just downloaded from the library this week.
Now… back to helping Hubby finish building this plane so I can get back to reading!