I’ll start with the weekly inbox/outbox post and end with a recap of my October reading… Spoiler: I didn’t read much in October…
Inbox (books acquired)
- The Last of the Firedrakes (The Avalonia Chronicles Book 1) by Farah Oomerbhoy (Kindle) — I think I found this book while looking for fantasy romance novels a while ago. I saw the price drop to free and figured I might as well add it to my collection… (P.S. it’s still free as of this posting if you want to grab a copy…)
- The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet: A Novel by Becky Chambers (Kindle) — Don’t ask me what happened here. I saw a tweet from a bookish person whose opinion I trust linking to this post about how this novel was the “most delightful” space opera this year and that the book was on sale for $1.99 and what can I say? I think they had me at “delightful” and “space opera.” Fingers crossed it is as good as promised.
Outbox (books finished)
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (Kindle, library) — So, this is not the sort of book I normally pick up because I don’t usually enjoy contemporary novels set during wars. But, I did enjoy this story. There’s a plot and both of the main characters are well imagined and interesting. So the story moves right along. But the ending dragged. It just kept going and going right up into present day, and I’m not sure why. I’m not sure how that served the story. There were several places earlier on where I would have been happy to have it end. But, it won the Pulitzer, so what do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Queue (what I’m reading next)
- I will probably not get much reading done during NaNoWriMo, but I might squeeze in a book of short stories and/or collection of poems so that I can check those boxes on my Read Harder challenge…
Here’s how October wrapped up for me, overall:
October reading stats
- Total books finished: 2 (all novels)
- Favorite book read: Carry On
- Book(s) read by diverse authors (per my 2015 reading project): started, but didn’t finish my diverse book selection…
I’m not planning on doing weekly updates in November. I’ll probably just do a recap post at the end of the month and blog in-between if anything interesting happens.
Best of luck anyone participating in NaNo!
2 thoughts on “Reading inbox-outbox: Week of 26 October (and October re-cap)”
I just finished Small Angry Planet! I don’t know if I’d call it space opera, though it relates to that in many way. “Firefly-like” is the term I’ve been using, but it’s not operatic, it’s episodic–mostly a string of small domestic moments that makes you love the characters so much that you want to follow them around forever. So yes, it’s definitely good, but in a very low-key way.
Good luck with NaNoWriMo!
Cool. I saw that you’d read it when I went to add it on Goodreads. Good to know that you liked it. I may sneak in a few chapters in November if I can stay ahead of my word count… Otherwise, I’ll probably check it out in December. 🙂
Comments are closed.