It’s been snowing here on Orcas Island for the past few days, and I’ve been enjoying some excellent quality reading time. Now that I’m almost done with the books I wanted to finish reading for the Winter Magical Readathon, I’ve started thinking about the series I’d like to finish this year.
I mentioned in my 2020 reading goals post that I want to finish at least 5 series that I’ve started but not yet finished. I’m focusing on series that are now complete. So, most of these are older series. Some were hugely popular. Some I initially loved and then bailed on for whatever reason. Now I want to revisit them and see how the rest of the stories play out.
I started to make a Goodreads shelf to track them, but I’m not even sure I’ve got everything, yet. It turns out that there were more than I’d thought. So many that I had trouble narrowing it down to just 10 that I want to finish, but I did it. Below are the top 10 series that I’d most like to finish reading in 2020.
- Fire and Thorns Series by Rae Carson — I read the first book in this series shortly after it came out and enjoyed it. Then I never read the rest of the series. I think there are more books in this series coming out now, so I’d like to at least finish the original trilogy and see if I want to keep going.
- Poseidon’s Children Series by Alastair Reynolds — I read the first two books in this trilogy, and loved them. Then I never read the final book. I bought this last one on ebook when it came out, but I still haven’t read it. So, this is one I definitely want to finish this year. I think this will be a good one for a Tome Topple readathon.
- Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples — I really love this comic series. I own the bind-ups through volume 7, but I’ve only read the first 2. It’s possible that this series isn’t done yet, but I’m going to at least catch up to wherever the most recent volume released is by the end of 2020.
- The Amberlough Dossier Series by Lara Elena Donnelly — I read the first book in this series, and I own the other two books. The problem is that I have them all in paperback, and I keep forgetting about them. I’d really like to remember to finish this series this year.
- Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas — This used to be my favorite series. I devoured the first four books. Then I started souring on SJM’s writing style. At this point, I’ve pretty much completely forgotten what’s happened, and the series is done. So, I’m going to have to go back and refresh my memory with some recaps. Then I think it’s time for me to finally finish this series, for better or worse.
- Brothers Sinister Series by Courtney Milan — I’ve been taking my time reading these because I love them so much. I have the rest of the series on ebook now, so I could read through them all. The only problem with finishing them is that I’ll need to find a new series for pulling me out of reading slumps.
- Monsters of Verity by Victoria Schwab — I’ve been dragging my feet about reading book two in this duology because I’ve heard it’s not as good as the first book. The problem is that I bought this on ebook when it first came out, so I’m determined to read it. My plan is to save it for a Tome Topple and then read it and see how I like it.
- Kingmaker Chronicles by Amanda Bouchet — I didn’t love the first book in this series, but I wanted to give book two a try, so I bought it when it was on sale. Then I bought book three when it was on sale. Now I’m committed to finishing this series. I liked the world-building and was curious to see what happens with the plot. I just didn’t like the characters or the relationship between them. Here’s hoping they grow on me as the series progresses.
- The Neapolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante — It’s been a while since I read the first two books in this series. I have two more to read, and I really want to finish them. They just keep getting bumped off my TBR. Not this year. This year they’re getting read.
- The Folk of the Air by Holly Black — Out of all the series on this list, the last two books in this series are possibly the two books I’m most looking forward to reading. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the first series I end up finishing this year.
Given the fact that there are several series in that list that I’m not super excited to read, you may be asking yourself why in the world I’m bothering to put these on my TBR and make a goal out of finishing them. To that I say: I don’t have to read all of them. I only said I’d finish five. As for the rest, well… I like to finish things. I find it really hard to DNF books, and almost as hard to DNF a series once I’ve started it.
If I pick up reading the Kingmaker Chronicles, or the Throne of Glass Series, or even the Fire and Thorns series and just do not like the next book, I may bail on reading the rest. But, I only have one book left to read in Poseidon’s Children and Monsters of Verity. So, I’m going to finish those, even if I’m not loving the book.
Let me know what you think in the comments. Do you feel compelled to finish every series you start? What series have you given up on? Or which one do you really want to finish reading this year?
You must be logged in to post a comment.