This round of Tome Topple is already in progress. It started on the 15th of March and goes through the 28th of March. (If you are unfamiliar with Tome Topple, you can find out more information here.)
I have every intention of participating, and I had this whole blog post drafted and ready to go, talking about my TBR. Then, as it has a tendency to do, life happened. I still plan to participate in this round of Tome Topple, but as I posted over on Instagram, my TBR for this round is down to one book.
If you remember, there were two tomes on my March TBR. I finished one of them earlier this month (Winterkeep), because it was our Camp Book Club pick for this month. That leaves one tome remaining, Master of One by by Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett.
I put Master of One on my March TBR because it’s one of my “21 for 2021” books I want to read this year. If I finish reading it before the end of Tome Topple, I can count it as “reading one tome.” Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for checking off any of the eight other (completely optional) reading prompts. But hey, I’m fine with that. Realistically, I’m only going to have time to read one tome this round, and not just because I’m starting late.
Just for fun, I did go through and think about what other books on my TBR would fit for each of the remaining prompts. There are some prompts that I will definitely would not be checking off this round, even if I did have more time. Those are:
- Tome that’s been on your TBR the longest — In order for me to check off this prompt, I’d have to read The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, but that’s not going to happen. I’m not planning on reading this book until the third book has an official release date.
- An audiobook — Since I’m not really going anywhere, I’m not really listening to a lot of audiobooks at the moment. Especially not tome-length audiobooks. Eventually I’ll get back into audiobooks, but it’s not going to be this month.
- Tome from a genre you don’t usually read — Literary fiction is probably the genre I read the least often. I have several literary fiction tomes on my TBR, but I’m not in the mood for that sort of thing right now, which is probably why this is a genre that I don’t usually read.
- Tome that you started during a different round of tome topple but didn’t finish — Since I finally finished reading Poseidon’s Wake by Alastair Reynolds, I currently do not have a book that fits this prompt.
- Tome on your shelf with the most pages — The longest two books on my TBR at the moment are both by Neal Stephenson. The longer of the two is Reamde. I still do want to read this book, I’m just not going to get through it this month.
There are definitely books I would love to read for the other three prompts (and a few that would allow me to check off more than one of those three prompts). Unfortunately, I don’t think I’m going to have time to get to any of them this month. We’ll see… If I did have time, here are some of my options:
- A seasonally colored tome — This would be spring colors for me. So, green? The book on my TBR that best fits this prompt is Jade City by Fonda Lee, which I really want to read, but am not sure I want to read it more than I want to read some of the other books on my TBR right now. Maybe. We’ll see.
- A tome from a series you haven’t read in a while — I could go in one of two directions with this prompt. One would be picking up Empire of Storms (book five in the Throne of Glass series). The other option would be The Phoenix Empress by K. Arsenault Rivera. It’s been almost six years since I read Queen of Shadows (book four in the Throne of Glass series) and almost three years since I read The Tiger’s Daughter (the first book in the Ascendant series). Both of those books are on my “21 for 2021” books that I wanted to read this year.
- Read a tome written by a BIPOC author — Both Jade City and The Phoenix Empress would count for this prompt, but I have several other books on my TBR that would also work. The one that I think I want to read most right now is Legendborn by Tracy Deonn. If, for some reason, I find myself with more time available to read, this is probably going to be the next book I pick up after I finish Master of One.
Are you participating in Tome Topple this round? If so, what’s on your TBR?