It’s the end of the year, and everyone seems to be doing their “best of” and favorites lists. But I’m over here still reading and getting FOMO. So, I looked at the books I’ve read so far this year and narrowed the list down from 60+ books to my top twelve favorites.
What’s on my short list:
- Light from Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki — contemporary fantasy with a side of violin prodigy
- Paladin’s Grace by T. Kingfisher — fantasy mystery romance with fresh world-building
- Payback’s a Witch by Lana Harper — my fave of the small town witch romances I read this year
- The Misfit Soldier by Michael Mammay — fun military sci-fi caper with an excellent rivals to lovers romance sub-plot
- Son of the Storm by Suyi Davies Okungbowa — the first epic fantasy that has captured my attention in a long time
- Legendborn by Tracy Deonn — contemporary fantasy based on the King Arthur mythology
- The Galaxy and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers — cozy alien anthropology with a side of infrastructure collapse
- She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker Chan — historical fiction with a dash of fantasy
- The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy by Megan Bannen — swoony fantasy romance with chaotic but charming worldbuilding
- Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree — cozy fantasy that will make you want to visit your local coffee shop
- Kamila Knows Best by Farah Heron — best contemporary romance retelling of Jane Austen’s Emma since Clueless, IMO
- Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn — contemporary mystery novel featuring four retired female assassins
I still have a stack of books I plan to read before the end of the year, and a couple of those have “five star” expectations from me. So, I may have to modify this list a bit before I start stack ranking to determine my final “top five favorites” of the books I’ve read in 2022. But, I thought I’d post a preview of my short list in case you have one of these on your TBR and have been waffling about reading it before the end of the year.
You must be logged in to post a comment.