I love these Harry Potter themed Readathons! You may remember that I did the O.W.L.s Magical Readathon back in April and the Christmas at Hogwarts one back in December. Well, now in August it’s time for N.E.W.T.s!
I only managed to complete three O.W.L.s back in April, and I chose not to focus on a particular career. But, I finally checked the career manual and discovered to my delight that the three O.W.L.s I completed will qualify me for a career as a journalist or writer so long as I pass my required N.E.W.T.s. Seriously, this is so perfect, I can’t believe I didn’t plan it!
The O.W.L.s I completed in April were:
- Muggle Studies
- History of Magic
I need to complete the following N. E. W. T.s with at the specified achievement level in August in order to be qualified for my career as a writer or journalist:
- “E” in History of Magic
- “A” in Muggle Studies
- “A” in subject of my choice (I’m sticking with Charms)
Using the prompts sheet, that means I need to complete (at least) the following tasks in August:
- Read a fantasy (to get my “A” in History of Magic) <– Our Dark Duet
- Read a book that includes a map (to get my “E” in History of Magic) <– The Queen of Blood
- Cover that includes an actual photo element (to receive my “A” in Muggle Studies) <– You’d Be Mine
- Read a book that you think has a gorgeous cover (to receive my “A” in Charms) <– The Gilded Wolves
Since I’m an over-achiever (or maybe just an over-committer), I might as well shoot for the “O” level in my three subjects. Right? Right. If I do that, it will add the following tasks to my readathon goal:
- Tom Riddle’s Diary: fond memory – reread a favorite or read a classic (to get my “O” in History of Magic) <– The Rowan
- Book set in our real world (to get my “E” in Muggle Studies) <– A Prince on Paper
- Book written by a person of color (to get my “O” in Muggle Studies) <– Radio Silence
- Read a comic, graphic novel, manga, or book under 150 pages (to get my “E” in Charms) <– Sailor Moon
- Spongify: softening charm – read a paperback (to get my “O” in Charms) <– The Last Unicorn
Instead of a progress report blog post (like I did for the O. W. L.s), this time I think I’ll probably start a thread on Twitter to update progress along the way. So, make sure you’re following me over there if you want progress updates, or if you’re also participating in this challenge.
If you are participating in this Magical Readathon, let me know in the comments. And, if you are, what career are you working toward? Send me a link to your TBR.